Saturday, July 6, 2013

Empathic Selling - "What are you thinking?"

One of the most critical components of success for any professional is the ability to concisely communicate a sales message, and break through the clutter.  WE ARE ALL SALESMAN; – don’t believe me?  Try converting the guest bedroom into a ‘man cave’ before getting a verbal confirmation from your wife, or explaining to the Chief Financial Officer why SEO deserves to have $1 million allocated in next year’s budget to drive organic site visitors.  We are always selling; however, some of us do it better than others – so my mission has been to find simple tactics that can help anyone at all levels sell more efficiently.

This blog will continually reference a movement that I am working to develop called empathic selling.  A simple definition is to deliver your message with empathy, and refine your ability to truly present as if you were listening from the other side of the conversation.  In theory it seems simplistic, and it is, that’s why it works.  However, there are elements to this process that I have learned and compiled by reading mavens in their respective industries to build a model that can work for anyone in any industry.  Topics such as emotional intelligence, active listening, neuromarketing, storytelling, and irrational exuberance intersect at a crossroads that I define as empathic selling

The first practical topic that I will focus on will be concise message delivery.  In a fantastic book called Neuromarketing: Understanding the "Buy Button" in Your Customer's Brain by Patrick Renvoise, the author introduces a methodology of how to deliver a targeted message to the primitive brain by focusing on simplistic messaging.  While I would certainly recommend the book to understand the evolution of the brain and why this works; I want to share a tactic that I have successfully executed from the book that has enhanced my message delivery and influence. 

A simple methodology that can be utilized to organize your ‘sales pitch’ in any environment is as follows:

  • Identify the pain
  • Differentiate your claim
  • Demonstrate your gain
Regardless of your industry, there always exists a pain that needs to be alleviated – the better you understand that pain, the more effective your message.  Where empathic selling aids in this process is helping to identify more than just the pain of an industry or macroeconomic situation, it is approaching your client as a consultant, and understanding their personal success metrics.  For example, a pain for a major retailer may be to support a new store opening; however, the individual marketing manager you are talking to may be evaluating solutions to exceed a previously defined company benchmark or return on investment goal in order to look like a ‘Rock-star’ internally.  While the two events are not mutually exclusive, they do help tailor your message to assist in the differentiation of your claim.

Utilizing this methodology over the past five years of communicating to fortune 500 clients, I have consistently achieved a response rate of over 71% in my e-mail marketing/sales prospecting by structuring my message according to process above.  In future posts, I will share how other elements of empathic selling help to define this process regardless of what you are selling. 

In conclusion, successful selling begins when you stop selling.  Success is positioning a message with empathy while demonstrating a unique gain relative to the pain the customer is experiencing.  This is one of the first books that I read and it has dramatically helped me in my career of communicating to C-level Executives internally as well as externally.  As your wingman, I hope you find similar success and fortune. 

The next blog will take a deeper dive into tactics to help “identify the pain” so that your first impression can be very impactful and immediately captivate attention.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment